Search This Blog

Saturday 14 May 2011

Good things come in small packages.

This year I have grown some beetroot in modules. I've not yet planted it out, but when I do, I'm not going to thin it out. I'm growing it in little clusters. I think small beetroot is more tasty (gold ball size), so I'm happy for it to grow together.

Beetroot packed tightly together


 
I think its lovely how you can already see the redness of the beetroot through the leaves, even though its still only v small.






I also like to grow onions close together - in clusters of five or six. Again, when you eat them small, they are lovely.

In the next two weeks (when all danger of frost has passed), I am going to plant out my veggies that are all safely tucked up in the greenhouse at the moment. These are:

  • Beetroot
  • Leeks
  • Courgettes
  • Red Cabbage
  • Sprouts
  • Runner Beans
I can't wait!

Thanks for reading x

4 comments:

  1. Fab idea with the beetroot! Can't wait to see what they look like when they've grown :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are your leeks getting on? I've planted mine in modules to transplant later but they don't look very robust.

    http://sussexgardens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roz - my leeks are OK. Still in their modules in the greenhouse. They look healthy enough, but are still fairly small. Am probably going to plant them out in the next two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your beets look marvelous! I've never cluster planted.....an interesting concept which sounds delicious, but I'm afraid I'd get too busy to catch them when they were small and they'd grow into an ugly cluster! It's just nice to see all the greenery of your veggies. Mine are just starting to poke their little tiny green tips out of the soil.

    Blessings,
    Tammy ~@~

    ReplyDelete