Search This Blog

Sunday 19 June 2011

salad here I come!

We haven't had the best weather lately - not much sun! However, we have had a lot of rain, which has helped the garden grow. I'm just starting to get some of the first fruits of the season.

I grew cucumber for the first time last year & it was great - so it was one of the first things I wanted to do again. I've now got about 8 cucumbers almost ready to eat.


I like to eat them when they're not too big, then you can eat the whole thing in one go (unlike those massive supermarket ones!)

One of my other favourites is tomatoes - this year I am growing some big & small ones. They are just starting to fruit now. I think it's amazing how quick they grow. I pinch them out each day when watering & they almost seem to grow before my eyes. I have planted basil with the tomatoes for a couple of reasons. Firtly, because basil tastes great with tomatoes, so you can pick them together. And secondly, because it helps to keep whitefly away.


I hope the next time I post a blog entry, I might be able to add a pic or two of some newly fruiting tomatoes!

Thanks for reading x

3 comments:

  1. Fab piccies! Must have a go at cucumbers next year :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy pics...it is exciting when we can start enjoying the fruits of our labor...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a special gift of the green thumb...I actually have found a new love for terrariums, they seem to be all that can survive in my house! Great post.

    emilyp711.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete