Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 July 2011

The tastes and smells of Summer

One of the most useful veg plants I grow are courgettes. You only need a few plants (I have three this year) and the give you a fantastic yield. They also seem really versatile. In the beginning, I pick them when they're really small & use them whole in stir fries and curries.

They're great to eat raw with good healthy dips too. And as much as I try, there's always the odd few that turn into massive ones, which I use in the same way as marrows - I've got a couple like that now. My favourite way to cook them as marrow is:

  1. Cut in half length ways
  2. Remove the seeds
  3. Stuff with grated cheese (red leicester is good)
  4. Add some slices of tomato (thick, juicy Italian ones are best)
  5. Bake in the oven for 40 mins
  6. Enjoy with some good, crusty bread!


The herbs are doing well at this time of year too, with some great smells in the garden. I have some mint, rosemary, sage & lavender just outside my back door & it smells wonderful as you go past. The lavender has been a real attraction for the bees too. The colour is wonderful!




Thanks for reading x

5 comments:

  1. Your garden looks great and zucchinis as we can them over here are one of my favorites to eat and grow! They can get huge though can't they :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lavender is one of my faves too. Courgettes are great, so productive and so manu uses in the kitchen. I even use them in a cake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh - share your cake recipe Bridget x

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOUR GARDEN LOOKS LOVEKLY AS ALWAYS AND THANKS FOR SOME OF THE TIPS ON HJOW YOU USE YOURS I MIGHT TRY THAT STUFFED ONE TODAY FOR DINNER TODAY I WAS THINGING OF MAKING A MIXED VEG AND FRUIT CHUTNEY AS NOT SURE HOW ELSE TO STORE THEM KIND REGUARDS LINDA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget with your couregettes to do something with the delicious flowers too. Fried in a light tempura batter, then eaten with soy sauce or sweet chili sauce they are great, and a real treat. Also lovely in salads, or stuffed (e.g. with cheese) then baked.

    ReplyDelete