Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 July 2011

sweet smelling sweet peas

I've tried red cabbage this year & it seems to be doing well. I've got a raised bed full of it.

I've seen a few cabbage white butterflies around, so I'm trying to shoo off any that I see! I expect they would love a taste!

The runner beans are doing well. I always plant them with sweet peas & they look lovely growing together. The sweet peas encourage the bees into the garden & so more runner beans are pollinated. You have to keep picking the sweet peas on a daily basis though, to stop them going to seed. On the up side, it means you always have a vase full of beautiful smelling sweet peas on the kitchen windowsill.  The runner beans are starting to flower, so I'm hoping the beans will start to grow shortly.

We've had a fair bit of rain, but could do with a bit more sun though to get some more things along. My tomatoes have started to fruit though, so I'll post some pics of them the next time.

Thanks for reading x

3 comments:

  1. We had such a problem with pollination when we first moved here that we hung bunches of lavender in the runner beans row! When I've tried sweet peas there, they've ended up swamped by the beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love my sweet peas but I'm fearful I'll have to scrap them due to a sever spider mite problem, so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking lovely! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

    ReplyDelete