Search This Blog

Monday 18 April 2011

Trying new things

This year I'm growing a few new things in the garden. One of them is kiwi - it looks to be growing pretty well so far.


It seems to have come on very quickly. I am growing it in one of the raised beds in my greenhouse. When I first got my greenhouse (my huband built it for me), I opted for having raised beds in there & it was the best thing I ever did. It is so much easier. Here's the greenhouse a few weeks ago, when there was not much in there.

I'll post another photo of it later this year, when everything is in full bloom.

I'm also growing watermelon this year for the first time - I sowed some seeds about a week ago and they are just starting to sprout. I think they like humid places, so I may cover with some plastic to increase the humidity.

One of my successes already has been the rhubarb - here's a reminder of what it looked like:

And let me tell you it tasted wonderful in a crumble I made a few days ago! It was wonderfully tender!

To stew the rhubarb I cut up, then added a little honey (not too much to overpower the rhubarb though), sugar and orange juice - very nice! When I make crumble I always add a little ginger to the crumble mixture and I think it goes really well with rhubarb too. I need to start looking at more rhubarb recipes now, as I've got quite a lot to harvest. Any good ones, let me know.

Thanks for reading.

3F5Q9W37N62Y

12 comments:

  1. My neighbour has ginormous kiwi's all growing on a big frame in the garden, it seems to to pretty well.

    Your cumble sounds scrummy! Also nice is Rhubarb and strawberry crumble...mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good, hope mine do well too. I have never considered strawbery & rhubarb crumble, but now that you have mentioned it, it actually sounds a really good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had rhubarb crumble with ginger added to the topping last night. It was delicious. Rhubarb and strawberry jam is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think crumble has to be everyones favourite! I think I will make some jam this year, as I made some great gooseberry jam last year (still eating it now!). Thanks for another good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow! so jealous of your greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Your greenhouse is amazing! I have never grown kiwi - that sounds so cool! Good luck with everything. Looking good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever husband you have! Your garden must be so gorgeous!The pictures always look great. If you ever have trouble with your watermelons feel free to drop me a line-my hubby was involved in growing them commercialy and we grew organic ones at home too really well-so great for kids, we have such wonderful pics of my daughter with them =) Some varieties need a pollinator like seedless varieties. All the best with your gorgeous garden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post and great greenhouse; looks like that raised beds idea worked out for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh!!! That looks fab! I'm sticking with the more ordinary stuff until I've got a bit more experience but kiwis sound fab :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love rhubarb. You could try using it in muffins - you'd need to stew it first. Or I know I've had rhubarb in a crumble-topped tray bake before.

    I managed to kill my rhubarb last year so I had to start over, just when it should have been big enough to get a good harvest this year :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with the kiwi and rhubarb crumble is one of my favs just pipped by apple crumble to the top spot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Damo - thanks. My absolute favourite crumble is billberry.

    ReplyDelete