Search This Blog

Saturday 19 March 2011

Rhubarb Forcing

Last year I planted some rhubarb. I heard that the first year, you should not use it, but let it die back down & then it will be better the year after. I was sooo tempted to cut some off (just one pie or crumble), but I didn't. I am pleased to say that this year it has come back (hopefully bigger & better than last year!).

Last week on Gardener's World, Monty Don talked about forcing rhubarb, so that's what I've decided to do. I have put a large pot over it & am awaiting the gloriously tasty stems! Here's what it looked like this week, before I covered it up.
I'll keep adding photos each time I have a sneaky look at it!

I'm in the right area for growing rhubarb, as only a few miles away from me is the Rhubarb Triangle in Wakefield, where they are famous for growing rhubarb indoors in sheds.

3 comments:

  1. I am in the postition of buying some this year and ignoring as you did....I might put a few in then try and force one next year as this sounds like fun.Look forward to seeing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck - it's hard to resist eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another nice post.......thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete