Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 March 2011

The start of something good.

Now that Spring is officially here and the clocks have changed (so lighter nights), it feels like the start of something good. Lots of seeds have been planted and are now starting to appear and it feels really exciting. I've tried some leeks this year (first time) and I am so happy to see the little mites growing.
I can't believe that these tiny things are going to grow into leeks. I've got a section all ready for them in the raised bed. One of my friends also grew them in piping, as that encouraged them to be "whiter", so I think I'll have a go at that too. They used plastic piping. I've also heard that you can store them in sand afterwards (although I think I'm jumping ahead a little there!)

I've sown lots of flowers too, to use as companions, so that the pests will not be attracted to my veg. My favourite ones are marigolds, as they are such sunny characters. They are popping up a little too:


I like to plant them as a boarder on the edge of all my raised beds. 

I really must take another picture of my rhubarb for the blog too, as it's doing tremendously well. I had put 4 different pots on there (each larger than the other) and it still keeps growing. Yesterday, I put a massive bag type thing over it that I usually use when weeding - it was the only thing I could think of that was big enough. I'll upload a photo in the next couple of days.

Thanks to everyone who has commented on the blog - it's brilliant to get ideas / thoughts from others.

6 comments:

  1. it an exciting time of year, isn't it!
    what "hardiness zone" do you live in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. chris the gardener - thanks - you reminded me I bought some seeds, but I forgot to sow them. Wonder if I'm still OK to do them now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that nasturtium attract blackfly - do you have that problem? I love them though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summersetlass - only found that they attract caterpillars! The worst thing i have that attract blackfly are broad beans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for stopping by my blog!

    www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete